Re: Self Insurance

Mark Erdos

On a side note, if others are tired of this thread, there is a great feature in this group where topics can be muted. There is a link at the bottom of each email received.

Hi Porter,

I looked at Novamar when renewing our policy a couple of year ago. They made their entrance into the market by selling mostly west coast sailors policies for Mexico. The agent I use and trusts talked very highly of them. He has written tons of Novamar policies. On other forums they are well recommended. We opted not to use them since their underwriter was wary of Pacific Ocean policies and required a crew of three on passages over 1,000 nm (prior approval required). In addition at the time I looked into them they required a full out-of-water survey less than a year old. This added a substantial amount to the cost of a policy change. Otherwise, their insurance rates were reasonable.

My 2 cents – if we are to pursue a group policy, there needs to be a period of enrollment were some rules are waived to encourage sign-up and minimize the cost of change. Also, an understanding Amel owners regularly sail passages over 1,000 nm without the need of crew.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us