Re: Self Insurance

Mark Erdos

On a side note, if others are tired of this thread, there is a great feature in this group where topics can be muted. There is a link at the bottom of each email received.

Hi Porter,

I looked at Novamar when renewing our policy a couple of year ago. They made their entrance into the market by selling mostly west coast sailors policies for Mexico. The agent I use and trusts talked very highly of them. He has written tons of Novamar policies. On other forums they are well recommended. We opted not to use them since their underwriter was wary of Pacific Ocean policies and required a crew of three on passages over 1,000 nm (prior approval required). In addition at the time I looked into them they required a full out-of-water survey less than a year old. This added a substantial amount to the cost of a policy change. Otherwise, their insurance rates were reasonable.

My 2 cents – if we are to pursue a group policy, there needs to be a period of enrollment were some rules are waived to encourage sign-up and minimize the cost of change. Also, an understanding Amel owners regularly sail passages over 1,000 nm without the need of crew.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Porter McRoberts via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2020 1:51 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Self Insurance

All. 

I spoke to My insurance agent Rob at Novamar. 

Some of you might know and use them. Specifically they were open to administering the program. They are reinsurers and have been quite capable and responsive in my limited interactions. Additionally they are sailors. Not sure if this would be a way to go. 

I am of course interested as well. I think if we’ll done we’d have tremendous interest. 

Porter A54-152 ibis. 

Excuse the errors.  

Sent from my IPhone 

Www.fouribis.net

On May 23, 2020, at 10:38 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Because we have had very few responses, we think that the uncertainty and amateurish sound of the initial posts has made people leery, and rightfully so.  Teun (Amelit A54) and Ken (Aquarious SM 2K) have some insurance knowledge and contacts they think might be able to help us out together a workable hybrid plan.  We are taking this discussion private until we have something more concrete to present. If anyone else wants to be in the loop as we discuss options, please let me know by private email.
Kent
SM243
Kristy

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.