From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of karkauai via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, 27 May, 2020 6:21
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] no bilgepump in saloon Am54

Hi Brian & Sue,

I'm interested in both of your modifications. I guess most if us have overfilled our fresh water tank at least once.  At least the bilge gets cleaned ;-)>

The only way I have of pumping water from the saloon or cabins is a sump pump that requires my 24vDC > 119v AC inverter to be functional, or a small 24v DC pump that I have used for water that collected by the forward head when the bow thruster seal failed.

I have just the primary bilge pump and manual Whale pump in the engine room.

I heard a talk by a couple who got knocked down (not Amel) in the Indian Ocean by a rogue wave during an otherwise manageable storm.  They had a boat full of sea water and their cabins were strewn with debris from every locker and drawer in the boat. Paper from their paperback books turned to mush and clogged their bilge pump. They ended up using a bucket. Eventually they called for help and abandoned ship because they had no fresh water, no electricity, no way to heat food, no engine, and no standing rig.

This story prompted me to install the battery box bolts that have never been there since I bought Kristy;  I will install latches on the cabin sole lockers;  I am looking at options for additional pumping capacity.

Do you have pictures of your modifications? I guess there is a fitting through the forward engine room bulkhead?

How much water will your engine pump? What do you do about debris? I guess the intake in the sump only allows pumping out water that gets into the grey water system. That wouldn't help much if there was water in the cabins or saloon.

Has anyone added an engine-driven pump that would not require an intact electrical system?

Any other thoughts?

Kent&Iris

Kristy

SM243

St Michaels, MD

On May 27, 2020 2:08 AM, Brian Mitchell <sue@...> wrote:

Dear Mark

I have this style of alarm and it works well so long as the battery is good and all connections in the battey compartment are also good.

The pump that pumps out the grey water in the engine room could help with the flooding as i too flooded my freshwater, I now sit focused, like when refueling, watching the water fill. What I have done is put a “y”  toilet diversion valve inline. I have the original suction going up through as original but I have fitted some cam lock fittings and about 12 meters of hose so I can now reach most disasters by switching over the “y” valve  and pump out the remote areas.

The other thing I installed was a “t - fitting“, valve and strainer on the main engine raw water cooling line with another pick up into the bilge incase the grey water pump failed or I can use the motor as an emergency pump if needed in an emergency.

Cheers

Brian & Sue

Sue Mitchell

S Y Lola

+61 481 719770

[...]

On May 27, 2020, at 02:43, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

It is loud. I can clearly hear the alarm outside of the boat with the hatch closed.  Also, if you want it louder, the water sensor is on about 2 feet of wire. So, you can put the sensor in the area you wish to detect water under the floor and the alarm can be mounted higher up and not obscured or muffled by the floor.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us