Re: Keel rust and ballast straps on a Maramu

Jacob Champness

I've owned her for 2 years.  I don't know about any work done on the ballast or the strap prior to that.  I observed some small rust bubbles on the very bottom of the aft end of the ballast when we hauled in Guatemala a little over a year agoand had the them cleaned up and covered over but I don't think the guys there did a great job.  I recently observed more of the same while cleaning the bottom in George Town.

Here's one more question I meant to ask above:  How can you ever be sure that the upper surface of the ballast against the GRP stub is sealed and free of rust?

Thanks again!

Jacob Champness
Maramu #42, Lark
St Augustine, USA