IALA buoy system warning

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

Warning according to an incident yesterday in le Marin, Martinique.

We observed an AMEL super maramu full sail up entering the bay. The captain left a green buoy at his starboard side and ended up shipwracked on the reef.

We do not know all details of this incident.

But be warned, here is the IALA buoy sytem B used opposite to europe with IALA system A.

All european scippers need to pay attention.

IALA A is used by countries in Africa, most of Asia, Australia, Europe and India. IALA B is used by countries in North, Central and South America, Japan, Korea and the Philippines.

By mixing up the different color code you my end up on the reef.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54 #39
Martinique