Fair enough, but setting my specific vessel aside, and asking about ballast and copper straps on Maramus in general:
1. If the copper strap is intact, then is it true that there would be no rusting of the ballast?
2. If the rust repair job is done perfectly (the ballast is sanded clean and shiny and then immediately sealed of), then is the copper strap even necessary?
3. Is it possible that a 1979 Maramu never had a strap?
4. If the strap were missing for several years from a Maramu that should have had it then what problems would you expect to see?
5. How have others physically managed to attach a strap at the bottom of the bilge on a Maramu? Does anyone have pictures of that job?
6. Could anyone who has the strap in place on their Maramu please comment on where it attaches at the other end from the ballast?
7. In general, how can you ever be sure that the upper surface of the ballast against the GRP stub is sealed and free of rust?
Maramu #42, Lark
St Augustine, USA