Re: Keel rust and ballast straps on a Maramu

smiles bernard

Hi Jacob
I’ve just replaced rotten bonding cables with the attached
There is lots of good discussions about this on the forum that I read up on before attempting it and that helped.
It’s a shot taken lying on top of my engine looking down into the bilge
Copper strap is 50mm by 4mm
I can dig out length I bought too if helpful
20 or was it 22mm hole 2 inches from end that then attaches to keel bolt
Long extensions on 30mm socket set
Was quite easy. Only hard part was getting the shape about right
Happy to help if you have qs
I would also say that a solution with oversized copper braid cable would work well. Perhaps for not as long.

 All the best
Miles

Maramu 162

On 30 May 2020, at 16:45, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Steel is steel. If bare steel is exposed to salt water it will rust. It is very important to immediately prime the ballast as soon as it is sanded. Slight oxidation will cause the bottom paint to flake of.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376