Re: Converting my Amel 54 to lithium batteries: what I did, what I like and what I don't like (after one year of full time live aboard use)

Scott SV Tengah

Mark,

I ran the four 50mm2 cables for the Quattro 5000/24/120 the same way that Amel ran the original cables for my Dolphin 100amp and the Dolphin 30amp. I re-used the cables that Amel installed with the Dolphin 100amp to connect my secondary charger (Skylla-i 80 amp). Note that I did NOT reuse the cables that Amel used for the Dolphin 30amp.

From the engine room, the cables go underneath a cover at the forward end of the companionway where the passage berth is located. This leads directly to the main switches.

Note that you will have to break the epoxy between the engine room and the companionway. On my 54, once you remove the cover you see in the center of the photo, it becomes immediately obvious. You can do it with a chisel quite easily from the companionway. Once you run the new cables, remember to fill it in to re-establish the watertight separation between the engine compartment and the companionway.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69