Re: Main Sail Outhaul and Furling Gearbox Bonfiglioli VF44P1-70 P63 B14 B3

Bill Shaproski

Thanks for the info.  I ordered 2 new units from Drivetech 5 years ago and they had the fins intact and did not require any additional rework other than protective coatings.   I also just ordered one from Radwell in Willingboro NJ which looks like the same ones from Drivetech, but I don't get to the boat until Friday to do a fit check.  But I'm confident it's the same.  I also just ordered one from Ameritec in South Carolina and they sent a knockoff from China which was completely wrong and took hours of back and forth emails to determine it was wrong.  Now I'm trying to get them to give a refund.
I now have one being sent from a small village in the south of Holland which is used.  It should arrive by Thursday and I leave for Fort Lauderdale on Friday.  I'll let you know what I find out.
I'll put together an email with the contact info for all the various outfits I have that sell this part.  I have two others to provide.  Other cruisers may find it helpful.
My advice is to always have two available as spares if one plans to be doing any offshore sailing.  BTW  you need to finish the units with two coats of Zinc Chromate primer and two coats of a good enamel.  You might also consider applying alodine prior to the primer.
Regards
Bill Shaproski

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 7:32 AM Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Bill,
You might also try Bonfiglioli USA /3541 Hargrave Dr;/ Hebron, KY 41048/ 859.334.3333.  I believe that Mitch at Drivetech simply orders from them.

Do note that Amel modified it a bit by grinding off the cooling fins and drilling a slightly different hole pattern on the mounting plate, which you'll have to do, too. Any chance that is what your maintenance guy was seeing? (Although you did note he said it was not Bonfiglioli brand.) Where in FL is your boat?

Good luck with it.
Craig