Re: Prepping Onan for short-medium term non-use?

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Scott;

It is nice to hear you have had such success with the conversion to Lithium. We will be doing the same in the next battery change.

I would consider running the generator periodically under 80% load (I would say once a week) for about an hour. Although winterizing is helpful in extending the life of a diesel engine and all related mechanical components, while in storage, lack of operation can be very detrimental to the longevity. Running the engine helps to lubricate the internal components and prevent rust and corrosion.

Also, when on any type of passage, Amel recommends running the generator and the engine at least once a day, to prevent sea water from working its way back into the cylinders through the exhaust.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099