Re: Prepping Onan for short-medium term non-use?

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Scott;

It is nice to hear you have had such success with the conversion to Lithium. We will be doing the same in the next battery change.

I would consider running the generator periodically under 80% load (I would say once a week) for about an hour. Although winterizing is helpful in extending the life of a diesel engine and all related mechanical components, while in storage, lack of operation can be very detrimental to the longevity. Running the engine helps to lubricate the internal components and prevent rust and corrosion.

Also, when on any type of passage, Amel recommends running the generator and the engine at least once a day, to prevent sea water from working its way back into the cylinders through the exhaust.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott SV Tengah via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 09, 2020 1:20 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Prepping Onan for short-medium term non-use?

We have the Onan 11kw on our A54 and after fixing the solar wiring (bad install), we are finding that we don't need to use the generator anymore here in sunny Maui. 

In the 6 weeks since we have been stationary, the generator has not been used at all despite running the dishwasher, washing machine, water maker, water heater, icemaker, etc. daily. Given Covid - I have no idea how long we will be here. At what point do I need to consider preparing the generator for non-use / wintering? Since we bought her, we have lived aboard full-time save for one month last summer, so we haven't really had to winterize anything yet. 

I considered running fresh water through the SW circuit, but wouldn't that passivate the heat exchanger zinc?

Thoughts on how long we can just leave the Onan unused without active winterization measures? 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.