Re: Trojan 200 vs Trojan 225 Batteries for Amel SM 2000 Hull # 335

usrey_chuck

Hello Gary

After having the same problem finding exact replacements and also having premature failure of the house bank I switched over to another option. I replaced the 12 volt freedom batteries with 6 volt wet cells from Trojon. I spent a lot of time talking with the factory reps at the Trojon company and they said that because the plates of the 6 volt batteries are so much thicker that they will last much longer. Also, the AMP rating is a little over twice what you get from a 12 volt so your usable AMP hours go up a little.

I was not able to use the copper straps to tie the batteries together so I had short cables made for me and used them instead. These were easy to come by and any shop should be able to produce them. The wood bracket on the underside of the lid does a good job of holding them in place but the ones on the bottom of the compartment did have to be moved a little for everything to fit right.

I have had these wet cells onboard for a little over two years and they work great. The time between charging and discharging is almost the same as when they were new. One draw back is the need to check the water level from time to time and add some when it gets low but this has not been a big problem.

I know that there are a lot of different opinions about sticking with Amel's design and also about wet cells but for me this option has worked very well.

Best of luck
Chuck
S/V Helen Louise
ASM 350

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hi everyone:
It has come time to replace my house batteries. I have no source for a Group 31 deep cycle battery with flush caps and a SS threaded stud placement that will allow me to utilize the copper tie bar between the positive and negative post for the series (24 volt) set up in my boat.

The AC Delco 1150 batteries originally fit measure 13 inches long x 6.825 inches wide x 9.5 inches tall to the top of the threaded stud and have a flush top that allows the 2x4 beam on the bottom of the bunk top to fit against the tops of the batteries:

Replacement options (i.e. available to me in Antigua) are:

1. Trojan SCS225 measuring 13.94 (almost 14 inches long) x 6.75 inches wide x 9.875 inches tall to the top of the stud

OR

2. Trojan SCS200 measuring 12.75 inches long x 6.75 inches wide x 9.75 inches tall to the top of the stud.

Neither layout of the studs will allow me to use the existing interconnect bars. I will have to have fabricated interconnect cables. Additionally I am concerned that the 2x4 hold down beam may not clear the filler caps on the top of the batteries.

Has anybody out there fitted either of these batteries to an Amel SM2000 of approximately my vintage (delivered July 2001, Hull # 335) and can tell me about their experience.

Thanks to all, Gary