Batteries reconfiguration

Paul <pflafrance@...>

We recently had on board an electrician a retired navy commander for subs for our trip north. They reviewed our charging system (Engine 100 & 30 Amp alternators) and the Genset 100 amp outputs for our 12 battery Delco bank that has 840 Amp/Hours.
They recommended that we split the existing battery bank of 12 batteries into 2 separate banks with a switch to better control charging. It appears Amel built the vessel for charging a 400 Amp/hour battery bank.
They indicated that the current charging system is not sufficient for the existing battery bank of 12 batteries.
They noted that the 2 separate banks would provide sufficient power for a days use based on our consumption levels.
Further benefits would be that the one bank not in use would have a days rest and could be recharged in a shorter time than the full bank. They recommended using Bank #1 on odd days and Bank #2 on even days.
The other benefit would be that when the need arises to replace the batteries only one bank would have to be done at a time if only a few batteries failed by moving them around.
Has anyone done this or had similar thoughts.
I am not an electrical person and batteries are not something I am fully conversant with but I'm learning.

Paul & Sue
SM #362