Re: Lubrication of the Mechanism That Drives The Main Sail Furling Unit

Bill Shaproski

Hi Randall,
Thanks much for the info on Ken's video on how to rebuild the main sail manual furler.  It's exactly what I was looking for.  In fact I met Ken several times two years ago in the Caribbean.
Regards
Bill Shaproski
Pacific Cool

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:50 PM Randall <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:
Hello Bill,

Not sure if this helps, but i remembered seeing this video by Ken on Aquarius.

Randall,
A54 #56

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 3:15 AM Bill Shaproski <bill.shaproski@...> wrote:
There is black grease leaking from the the mechanism that you put the winch handle into to furl the main sail in or out when the gearbox and motor are disconnected.  If I disassemble the unit by removing the bolts holding it together, is it going to require some complicated reassembly.  Any help with how to grease that unit are much appreciated.  I have a 1995 Super Maramu.

BTW, I found a brand new Bonfiglioli gearbox for the furling unit in a small town in The Netherlands.  The price was only about $125.  Furthermore it came with the shaft installed through theunit with a head piece that mates with the furler.  I planned to use the shaft from the unit being removed, but it was seized in the unit.  All other gearboxes I have found are in the $350 to $550 range.  The Netherlands company is PLC2DAY.com Tele: +31-161-416125.  They said that they had one more in stock.  It's listed as used, but it's brand new.

Regards,
Bill Shaproski

--
Bill Shaproski