Dessalator Duo watermakers - energy saving tip: don't use 230v if you can avoid it

Scott SV Tengah

We have a Desslator Duo 100 that runs on either 24v DC or 230v AC.

According to the specs and our own measurements, the 24v motor draws 600watts and the 230v motor draws 1100watts! The AC motor draws 83% more energy, so I asked Desslator if it produced more water per hour. Here's their response:

"It is the pulleys ratio which make both motors turn at the same speed at the axis of the pump, even if the electrical consumption is more important with the AC motor.

Consequently, both motors produce the same liters per hour (around 100 liters with a 25° sea water)."

I've been trying to "balance out" the motor wear by using both DC and AC, as I'm acutely aware of the problem of DC motor brush wear on my fridge pumps. But it seems if you're trying to do your part to save energy, running the AC motor is not a good idea.

Related question - what are people's experiences with DC and AC motor longevity. My research on DC motor brushes seems to indicate 2000-3000 hours of life is typical. What about the AC motor? I recall hearing the capacitors being the first things to go?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69