Re: sm 53 vs 54

Mohammad Shirloo

We reviewed both boats thoroughly. For us, It really came down to staysail, which we have come to use in most conditions above 25 knots apparent with wind forward of the beam,  a bit extra space due to the beam being caring aft, more spacious master cabin with walk around master bed, upgraded finishes, Washer/Dryer and availability of more newer models on the market. There are many more smaller differences, but these were the main ones for us.

Both boats will get you where you want to go safely and in comfort and in my opinion, only limited to the crew experience. You will get substantially more value than any other boat on the market, a great yard that stands behind their product with decades of support and a group like this that jumps in to help anyone they can. Also, you have to figure that the extra $s you pay for a 54 is not totally lost and you will, most likely, get some or most of it back at the time of sale.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of james Hosford via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2020 11:14 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io; main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] sm 53 vs 54

Mark,

That's kind of my point I'm more interested in what you see as a pro or con.  You have much more experience than I do.  Now I may decide your opinion on something isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things but I do think it's important to hear those opinions.   Never know what I might learn.

Cruising couple, but must be able to single hand.  Will be taking crew from time to time.  Boat will be for world cruising/live aboard.  It professional but grew up with a boaty diesel mechanic father.  Have rebuilt gasoline and diesel engines and winter chores included re varnishing our 15' wood runabout.     Don't mind a project but would like to  find a boat that has been taken care of and appreciated by their owner.

I just thought it could be informative, given the money.  Which you would buy?  If you are paying cash is the 54 worth the extra to you or would you pocket the difference and get the 53.

I was honestly all in on the 54 for but recently thought, well how many guests are you actually going to have?   Do you really like it 200g  more than the 53 which seems to be the going difference?  Just wondered what others thoughts were.  

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 12:57:00 PM CDT, james Hosford via groups.io <jay.hosford@...> wrote:

Thanks Bill,

I will take you up on that.

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 12:50:57 PM CDT, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Both the SM & the 54 are good Amels. There are differences, advantages, and disadvantages.

You may not be aware, but I offer 1 hour free consulting to non-owners of Amel yachts.

Maybe you should check this out.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 12:38 PM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:

James,
The majority of us have probably only owned one Amel. A lucky few will have upgraded to a newer model. There is much expertise in this group about each model, but I don’t think there is a font of knowledge about comparisons of pros and cons between each model.
I think you need to do some more personal research and then ask some specific questions about the ones you are interested in.

Good fortune with your research. Whatever the result, you will like most of us, be very happy with the AMEL you choose.

Ian

Ocean Hobo, Santorin 96

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.