Re: sm 53 vs 54

james Hosford

Thank you,   Yes I wondered as most late year 53s are yanmar.  Then when they built the 54 they went back to Volvo.   Not sure why they did that.   Yes get you point on the bunks etc which is why I started the thread.   Might like the idea/look of something but in reality it might not be practical.  Glad I found Bills Amel cruise.   Will definitely spend 7 days on both models now

On Jul 2, 2020, at 5:11 PM, Trevor Lusty <trevlusty@...> wrote:

Sorry James,
                     I pushed the wrong button. Personally, the last engine in the world I would want is a Volvo, followed by, what is a centre line aft bunk doing in a serious blue water cruising boat? The 54 is height critical when you are seated, if you are the wrong height it can be very uncomfortable. The SM was actively designed and sailed by The Captain , the 54 was designed in an office. Both boats are fantastic, the SM is the finished article of a lifetime's passion and personal experience.
Any really good design has a flow, where form follows function, which ever one is more comfortable for you has to be the right answer.
The  various electrics and the mechanical parts may fail you, but anything built by Amel will not.
Good luck with your search.
Trevor Lusty
Ireland