Re: New Thread on A54 fridge pumps (ATTN: OLIVER Vela Nautica)

Dean Gillies

Edited

Hi Bill?
In relation you your response in red about the Danfoss controller ... 

I believe you misunderstood my statement. I was referring to the current supply from the E51385 to Jamie's pump, NOT the current supply from the Danfoss controller to the E51385 which is 12V max 0.7A (because that Danfoss controller was designed to power a fan). The 12V pump Jamie referred to is specified as drawing 3.9A at 12V.  The point I was trying to make is that 3.9A drawn from the E51385 to the Pump may be enough to damage the E51385. The 51385 is designed to operate at 1.2A.

I bought a spare E51385 a couple of months ago which is at home. I'm travelling at the moment, but will set it up and test on the bench in a few weeks to confirm what voltage a 'new' E51385 should supply under a 1.2A load.

X

On 4 Jul 2020, at 5:02 am, main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io<digestnoreply@groups.io> wrote:

Groups.io

This is a digest for Amel Yacht Owners Group. View all your groups.io groups, and edit your subscriptions, here.
Do not reply to this email. To reply to a message, click the Reply link under the message.
TOPICS IN THIS DIGEST:
1. Re: New Thread on A54 fridge pumps (ATTN: OLIVER Vela Nautica) (2)
2. Re: Skarki Headspace / Celing Height (3)
3. Re: crappy job ahead of me....... santorin waste pipe (3)
4. Re: sm 53 vs 54 (3)
5. Bamar EJF Furler
1a. 
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:40:29 AEST 

My response in red:
Jamie,
Your 12V pump is looking for about 4A supply at 12V according to its specs. The system is designed to operate with a pump supply current of 1- 1.2A at 12V. I suspect you have damaged your 51385 module. I don't think so. It is the Danfoss Compressor controller that has the limit. If you have an LED alarm you will get 2 Blinks with "Excessive load on fan terminals, above 0.7amps." Remember the voltage for the 51385 comes from the Danfoss Compressor controller. See schematic below with 1 Danfoss circled and also snips from the manual :
<image.png>
<image.png>
Scott,
Did you ever connect a different 12V pump from the specified pump by Frigidaire ? Maybe your 51385 is also fried.
Above
Arno,
I agree with your description.

Jamie,
I suggest to buy the correct pump, and with a 'working' 51385 (operating at 12V) everything should be fine.
Agree
Using the correct 24V pump, the pump is safe under fault conditions, so you won't damage the pump if the voltage regulation on the 51385 fails. The 24V pump operates on a lighter duty than a 12V pump operating at full tilt. This extends its life and makes it quieter.

Just need to be careful with specs about the pumps. Veco rebadge the Flojet 24V pump as a '12V pump' for continuous duty at half the flow rate.
This can be very confusing when discussing the pump, or trying to replace it with a different one.
Agree
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

Attachments:

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
1b. 
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 05:02:01 AEST 

OK, my "final" update on the Flojet pump and Frigoboat E51385  interface. I cannot explain it, but the interface is definitely out-putting 24 volts to the pump at all times.
Maybe my interface is malfunctioning, so I installed a solid-state relay and a DC converter to step the voltage down to 12 volts. I used a 24-volt relay in place of the E
51385 pump connection and then feed the converter and pump via the live 24-volt terminal box in the engine room. The relay simply engages the pump when the compressors call for it.

A bit more complicated than I would like but the pump runs perfectly now and obviously I no longer get the pump overload signals at the interface. The higher capacity pump may draw more power, but it really cools down the 3 refrigerator units fast.

My next task is to get the brushless motor working to replace the Flojet motor. I will drive it directly via the 24-volt terminal block and eliminate the DC converter.

Until then I am "over and out" regarding this perplexing issue with the E
51385. I really appreciate all the suggestions and assistance, but will report once I have the brushless motor controller operational. That will be the gold standard.

Jamie
Phantom, A54 #44

View/Reply Online | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute Topic | Top ^ | New Topic
2a. 
Re: Skarki Headspace / Celing Height 
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 21:54:18 AEST 

Hi Guys,

I am late to the party but I have the same questions as MATTHIAS, thank you very much for the already very useful measurements.

I am wondering the headroom in the head and also in the aft cabin and forward cabin?

I find it hard to measure those heights from the PDF.

Thank you

2b. 
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 22:25:52 AEST 

The headroom in the head is 180 centimeter and in the aft cabin is 160 centimeter and forward cabin is 184 centimeter.
All measured at highest places.
-- 
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

2c. 
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 22:34:57 AEST 

Hi Ros,  
I am about 1735mm tall, I have spare height in the heads and aft cabin and I touch the ceiling in the forecabin, I do have 5mm of insulation stuck to the ceilings which most Sharki''s don't have. I might be able to measure next week.
Mark Porter
Sea Hobo 
Sharki 96
Cargreen UK

Sent from my Samsung device

3a. 
Re: crappy job ahead of me....... santorin waste pipe 
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2020 22:00:33 AEST 

Hi Eric,

We have been wrestling with holding tank issues for years, latest these past few months. There are numerous posts (maybe 300) on these issues on the bulletin board going back over the past 15 years. Some of which may be relevant to you. Take the time to understand the holding tank configuration you have and evolve you plan of attack after reading the relevant postings. This is a repair you would prefer to make once and be permanent. Your hull number would be useful to others who may offer advice. 

I would suggest removing the deck plate and taking a look inside your tank to understand its internal condition before doing anything. I did this at night and hung a light inside so I could see well and took some pictures.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM#240, Rock Hall, MD 

3b. 
From: Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 02:28:09 AEST 

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Eric,
I don't believe Amel put holding tanks in SN's so, like ours, yours was likely done by a prior owner. (Just the forward was done when we got our boat - I later did a 2nd tank in the aft head.) From your question it sounds like your tank is behind the outboard panel with the openings for the storage shelf. If so, removal of the wall would depend on how whoever installed the tank did it in the first place.

On mine, it requires removal of the sink wood crossmembers for the towel rack, the medicine cabinet, plus some perimeter trim, then reaching inside the cubby openingings to remove a few screws. Not too difficult. The tank simply sits on one of the original shelves and the plumbing is readily accessible once the panel is off.  I redid mine with PVC which I'd highly recommend for a multi-decade no-odor fix. 

That being said, I recall several posts of other SN owners installing tanks in various other positions, like under the towel bars.  What's the configuration on your SN?

Craig
PS I forgot to mention the original panel was fiberglassed to the shelves, so that has to be cut open the first time the panel is removed. Upon replacing, use wood blocks and screws to fasten it. A FINE Multi-tool or equivalent will cut the fiberglass tabbing nicely.

3c. 
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 03:27:56 AEST 

Hi Eric, 

Sounds like you have a perfectly good system that just needs repair, so I’m not advocating this for you but just thought I would take this opportunity to share my experiences with a composting toilet. I do think Craig is right, in that our Santorin had no stock holding tanks. There is a small tank for the aft head located in the life raft locker and no tank forward in the forward head.  

After converting a typically troublesome and odorous holding tank system on my Newport 41 a few years ago to a composting toilet and finding it works remarkably well and is infinitely preferable to a standard tank, I lugged an Airhead composting toilet to Greece last summer to install on Liesse.  I didn’t get around to it so it’s sitting in the lazarette at the moment waiting to be installed in the forward head but if not for a lack of headroom it could actually be used back there!   I have found the composting toilet to be odor free, easy to clean and maintain, and my only criticism is that when heeling it is difficult to keep urine from running around the little dam into the solids container.  It’s amazingly comforting to know the you will ALWAYS have a functional head!  We’re heading to Turkey when it’s possible and not sure how they will view the composting toilet in their blue card scheme...  Good luck w the repair.  

Dave Bruce
Liesse SN006

4a. 
Re: sm 53 vs 54 
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 01:30:49 AEST 

Thanks for your reply

4b. 
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 02:49:48 AEST 

We had the read the same issues raised about Volvo in the 54, prior to our purchase. Upon further research and discussions with people who know the actual number of 54s that have had issues with their Volvo, it was our conclusion that statistically, the percentage of serious issues, were low. Also, we figured that in the worst case scenario, we could repower with a new engine and the advantages and extra comforts of the 54 were worth the potential risk.

In our 5 years of cruising, we have not had any issues, other than normal maintenance and the Volvo has been very reliable. When we started to search for a cruising boat and in the 4 year process that ended up in the selection of the 54, we would not have imagined selecting a boat that we would be as impressed with as we are today. She continues to show her talents more and more as we have more time on board.

As everyone has reiterated, most of these decisions are personal and very much dependent on importance of the differences in the designs.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

4c. 
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 03:01:18 AEST 

Absolutely. And that was just the point of the question wanted to hear the opinions of owners and why they have those opinions.   Thank you so much,  this whole group is such a great value to those of us considering our purchase options and even greater value to current owners

5a. 
Bamar EJF Furler 
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 04:42:55 AEST 

Hello Group 
Tom Deasy APHRODITE Maramu 1983 #125
I am having a problem with my electric furler, four years old and several thousand miles.It will unroll about 2 feet and stop it will not roll back up. Is it possible for me to disassemble to see the problem could it be the brushes or possibly corrosion with the paws or the electrical brake system any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tom Deasy

Groups.io   © 2020 Groups.io

You are receiving this email because you are subscribed to main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io via stella@.... You can unsubscribe here.

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.