Re: [Amel] outhaul gearbox

Mike Ondra

Trevor,

I did extensive research on the outhaul, and furling, gearboxes (both the
same) used at least since SM #240. These squarish boxes are indeed Leroy
Somer, not the rounder Bonfiglioli used in the past. Unfortunately I have
the model # information on the boat, not with me here. Perhaps someone else
can read the # off the nameplate on the gearbox, but I don't think it will
do you any good.

I tracked them down through a local Leroy Somer dealer. After much effort I
broke down and purchased a new gearbox from Amel. Leroy Somer would not
sell the gears or the entire gear box direct no matter how hard I pressed,
only through Amel. I believe Amel also will sell the gears separately, but
perhaps the sum of the cost of the parts will be near the cost of the entire
assembled gearbox.

However, bearings and seals are "off the shelf" components and can be
purchase in many places that service machinery.

Mike Ondra

ALETES SM #240

_____