Re: Newer model Isolated ground kit for Yanmar from alel

Tom,

I believe that almost any automotive 12-volt starter solenoid will work as a substitute as long as the mounting bracket is not connected to any of the posts on the battery side of the switched posts or the battery side of the coil posts. I believe this condition is true on most start solenoids and the Onan Negative solenoid, but you should verify it.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 9:10 AM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
Eric- first of all thanks for all this. To have a guy who rewired his engine from scratch as a resource is incredibly helpful. My engine is a 4JH3-HTE but the wiring to the solenoid, diodes, and relay are all there as I see in the pics. After following the wiring from the panel to the solenoid the problem ended up being a bad connection at the relay. No power out of the relay to the solenoid. After rewiring the 2 brown wires connector and cleaning up the relay it works fine now. But as a precaution I'm buying a new solenoid from Maud and already ordered spare relays. I'm still curious about being able to substitute the isolated ground solenoid spares I have from the Onan for the Yanmars Valeo in a pinch. I never considered that option. Anyway, problem solved for now.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Honelei Bay, Kauai