Re: Bottom paint removal

Mark McGovern

Pat,

They are making a killing even at that price as it takes them only one day and it is pretty much just one guy doing the work.  However, it was still worth the cost when you compare it to the time and materials that it will cost you to do it yourself, nevermind the wear and tear on your body!

Discuss the bottom of the keel with JJ.  If I remember correctly, for them to do the whole bottom it would have required a re-block of the boat by the yard (~$300ish) while they have the boat in their section of the yard.  And then because I was doing more work on the hard, I was going to need yet another re-block to move me out of Ospreys section of the yard to my spot on the hard.  So I just had Osprey do the bottom of the keel that was exposed and then when the marina moved the boat out of Ospreys area to my spot on the hard I asked them to make sure the timbers under the keel were in different spots.  I then ground back and epoxy coated the two "stripes" under the keel myself.  In hindsight, I should have just paid Osprey to do the whole bottom of the keel.  Grinding the old epoxy off the bottom of that keel while laying down on gravel is NOT fun!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara