Re: Amel 55 mizen vibration

Aldo Roldan

Jose,

You might also consider locking the the mizzen traveller off the center line and tie a preventer line going from the end of the mizzen boom to an aft stanchion or pad-eye.

Aldo
Amel 55 Araucaria

On Jul 8, 2020, at 12:40 PM, rob dillmann <rob.dillmann@...> wrote:

Dear Jose,

I certainly do not want to keep you away of this charm, but you might try to wrap a hallyard a few times around the mizzen. This changes the airflow and might diminish the vibration.

Best regards,
Rob Dillmann
Westwind
Amel Mango 43

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad

Op 8 jul. 2020 om 16:52 heeft Jose Alegria <Josealegr@...> het volgende geschreven:

John

Thank you

I will try to find your " charm sailing life way".

Thank you and please keep safe

On 08/07/2020, at 14:26, John Clanton <jclanton@...> wrote:

Jose,

I have experienced this on several occasions.  I have not taken specific note of the wind speed or angle when it occurred, but in general, if there is a strong blow from somewhere aft of the beam, there is a noise generated, which creates some degree of vibration.

I have assumed it is when the combination of wind angle and speed causes a whistling or harmonic effect with the furler opening of the mast.

It can be attention getting, but we try not to pay any attention to it anymore.  We have added it to the list of other “charms” of sailing life.  Sorry I couldn’t provide a solution to eliminate it.

John W. Clanton

S/V Devereux

Amel 55, No. 65

Antibes, France

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication from the sender is confidential. It is intended solely for use by the recipient and others authorized to receive it. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information is strictly prohibited.