Re: Bottom paint removal

Patrick McAneny

Craig , I will buy some and give it a try. I don't mind risking my life to get the bottom paint off my boat, and as you said ,if they banned it in California it must be good. Now I know why my oatmeal has been crunchy.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig & Katherine Briggs SN 68 Sangaris Tropic Isle Harbor, FL via groups.io <sangaris@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jul 8, 2020 8:44 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bottom paint removal

[Edited Message Follows]
Pat, I did some Google-ing and it looks like methylene choloride and/or N-methylpyrrolidone (NMP) is the stuff that really works but is toxic. If you're neither pregnant nor stupid, go for it, if you can find it. The article said Home Depot and Lowes announced a couple of years ago they'd stop carrying it, although they still had some stock. AutoZone still carried it. Obama's EPA was working to ban it, but those efforts may have been reversed, according to the article. 

Just found it on Home Depot website for $42 per gallon - called Klean Strip. Encouraging as label says the State of California has determined it will kill you, so it must be good. Plus lots of other warnings. Go for it!  Also got a hit on Goof Off Pro Paint Stripper that contains Metheylene choloride 60% - maybe there's hope yet!

Btw, all I ever had was ground glass in my oatmeal - cookies were always great.
Cheers

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.