Pat,

HHN uses fairly large timbers for a boat our size - roughly 8"x8".  It gave me just enough room to lay on my side, and use and grind the old epoxy back.  It was gruelling work and OSHA would definitely not approve as I had to remove the safety guard off the angle grinder, as well the handle, and use it one-handed - pretty much by "feel" since I couldn't see the surface I was grinding while grinding.  It came out OK, but as I said above, in hindsight, I should have just let Osprey do the whole thing.  Here is a pic of the finished keel:

IMG_20190425_174217089_HDR.jpg

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 9:11 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mark, So it sounds as though they were able to do most of the bottom of the keel,correct ? That surprises me ,I would have thought the keel would be too close to the ground to work on,unless it is on tall blocks. Normally I am less than 6 inches off the ground. Sandblasting is hard work ,but it is amazing that a marina will ask you to pay $7,000. for one man/day of work . I did not accept their offer ,but $3000 .,while still a lot like you said ,does save you a lot of work ,not many options ,can't do it yourself,so they can charge what they want,little competition . I will try the paste removal stuff and if it does not work out ,I will give J.J. a call.
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jul 8, 2020 6:06 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bottom paint removal

Pat,

They are making a killing even at that price as it takes them only one day and it is pretty much just one guy doing the work.  However, it was still worth the cost when you compare it to the time and materials that it will cost you to do it yourself, nevermind the wear and tear on your body!

Discuss the bottom of the keel with JJ.  If I remember correctly, for them to do the whole bottom it would have required a re-block of the boat by the yard (~$300ish) while they have the boat in their section of the yard.  And then because I was doing more work on the hard, I was going to need yet another re-block to move me out of Ospreys section of the yard to my spot on the hard.  So I just had Osprey do the bottom of the keel that was exposed and then when the marina moved the boat out of Ospreys area to my spot on the hard I asked them to make sure the timbers under the keel were in different spots.  I then ground back and epoxy coated the two "stripes" under the keel myself.  In hindsight, I should have just paid Osprey to do the whole bottom of the keel.  Grinding the old epoxy off the bottom of that keel while laying down on gravel is NOT fun!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

--