Re: New Thread on A54 fridge pumps (ATTN: OLIVER Vela Nautica)

Scott SV Tengah

HI Craig,

I'm a little surprised that you're stating that our water cooled Danfoss refrigeration systems perform optimally with water temps above that which we experience in the tropics. That begs the question -  why didn't they design it for maximum efficiency given a water temperature that you would actually experience in the ocean?

My primary concern is pump life, which is directly related to pump duty cycle. Oliver logs his pump duty cycle (fancy computerized system) and noted that it went from 15% in colder waters to about 75% duty cycle when he got to the Caribbean.

I surmise the hot ambient air temps around the cooling box contribute to that, but for the purposes of comparing pump life for those in warm climates vs. pump life for those in cool climates, pump life seems to be inversely correlated with temperature. Those reporting super long pump lives seem to be in colder areas.

While I don't have Oliver's fancy logging system, I can attest that our refrigeration system uses considerably more power per day and our pumps lasted for much less time when comparing our experiences in the Caribbean vs. the Med. That implies to me that, when all is considered, colder temps mean the system is running less often.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69