Re: Possible damage from transport ships stacks. Has anyone experienced?

Brian Mitchell

We have shipped many yachts around the World, superyachts and our own Amel. We have experience with top loading and float on/float off shipping.
No matter what, cover and protect everything you can, the exhaust soot does stain the boats, so too the rust fragments from the exhaust stacks. Rust stains will be all over the gel coat.
The ships are old, have done thousands of hours at sea, they are cargo ships and thus are not spotless and or clean running.
The special shrink wrap plastic we use on all the transported yachts does leave a residue and you will need to have your yacht detailed and or very well cleaned at the destination, but it saves on the damage to the gel coat. If your bimini is in good condition you should cover and protect it or remove it and cover the cockpit. Even remove your sails and pack them in the lazarette or inside the yacht, to be sure they are as safe as they can be.
Vacuuming down your possessions inside the yacht is also recommended. We always covered the carpets however, I have not personally experienced any interior damage, just a heap of exterior mess to clean up upon delivery to the final destination.
The shipping company are never forthcoming on telling you about the exhaust issues, unless you actually ask them.
On the Super Servant the deck crew wash down all the boats each and everyday, but they are shipping superyachts, sportsfishers and sailing boats and still you do get a dirty yacht at the end of the voyage.
Trust this helps, none of the above is second hand, as stated, we have a lot of experience with shipping yachts!!
Good luck.
Brian & Sue (Australia)

Sue Mitchell
S Y Lola
+61 481 719770

On Jul 14, 2020, at 14:13, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

This is second hand so take it for what it's worth. My wife and I encountered an Amel owner in the Carib 7-8 years ago who had shipped their boat and suffered tremendous damage from smokestack ash throughout the entire boat (inside and out). It had been unfortunately positioned downwind of the ship's exhaust for 3 weeks. The boat was permeated with soot....they claimed even inside the compass (which I find not believable) but they were knee deep in litigation. Sorry for painting this image for you.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Kauia