Re: Possible damage from transport ships stacks. Has anyone experienced?

I have only one experience shipping and that was through Pirate Alley and up the Red Sea. There was no ash on any of the 18 yachts on the deck of a BBC ship (German company) that had been chartered by SevenStar. I am amazed that the story you quoted included ash and smoke debris inside the yacht because the yachts are not left open. I think this marina manager has retold this story multiple times exaggerating what he is told, and maybe he has a "friend" that is a delivery captain.

First, let's logically examine this: The stack is at the aft of all transport ships that I have seen and it is some unusual conditions that the wind will blow from the aft forward and down to the deck while the ship is cruising at 22kts.

Secondly, a fact: The exhaust of transport ships is checked and analyzed in many ports in the world looking to collect a fine for excess carbon at a micron level. The only ships that risk this huge fine are certainly not the ships used by any legitimate operator.

Thirdly, and for what it is worth, personal experience: I have spent many days and hours on the decks of cruise ships that have their stack(s) forward of the stern. The only time I ever experienced any similar situation was at a dock in Mexico where a Carnival Cruise ship was burning what smelled like garbage while tied to the dock. I saw the smoke and smelled it, but no ash.

Fourth, if something like the marina manager described were to happen, SevenStar provides you with an insurance policy.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 11:32 PM Brian Mitchell <sue@...> wrote:
We have shipped many yachts around the World, superyachts and our own Amel. We have experience with top loading and float on/float off shipping.
No matter what, cover and protect everything you can, the exhaust soot does stain the boats, so too the rust fragments from the exhaust stacks. Rust stains will be all over the gel coat.
The ships are old, have done thousands of hours at sea, they are cargo ships and thus are not spotless and or clean running.
The special shrink wrap plastic we use on all the transported yachts does leave a residue and you will need to have your yacht detailed and or very well cleaned at the destination, but it saves on the damage to the gel coat. If your bimini is in good condition you should cover and protect it or remove it and cover the cockpit. Even remove your sails and pack them in the lazarette or inside the yacht, to be sure they are as safe as they can be.
Vacuuming down your possessions inside the yacht is also recommended. We always covered the carpets however, I have not personally experienced any interior damage, just a heap of exterior mess to clean up upon delivery to the final destination.
The shipping company are never forthcoming on telling you about the exhaust issues, unless you actually ask them.
On the Super Servant the deck crew wash down all the boats each and everyday, but they are shipping superyachts, sportsfishers and sailing boats and still you do get a dirty yacht at the end of the voyage.
Trust this helps, none of the above is second hand, as stated, we have a lot of experience with shipping yachts!!
Good luck.
Brian & Sue (Australia)

Sue Mitchell
S Y Lola
+61 481 719770

On Jul 14, 2020, at 14:13, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

This is second hand so take it for what it's worth. My wife and I encountered an Amel owner in the Carib 7-8 years ago who had shipped their boat and suffered tremendous damage from smokestack ash throughout the entire boat (inside and out). It had been unfortunately positioned downwind of the ship's exhaust for 3 weeks. The boat was permeated with soot....they claimed even inside the compass (which I find not believable) but they were knee deep in litigation. Sorry for painting this image for you.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Kauia