Re: SM 1990 drive unit seals

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Thanks Bill,

That’s what we used... we will try to do it more carefully this time. The only difference is that our Permatex was a few years old and so the red RTV silicone gasket maker hi-temp low volatile up to 650F 343C resists oil, water and anti freeze, that we used  is made by ABRO. It needs to sit for 10 mins to form a film whereas the PERMATEX you stick immediately. Don’t know if that is a problem?

Many thanks!

On 17 Jul 2020, at 6:34 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

You should not use on O-Ring unless there is a groove for the O-Ring.

My only idea is to clean the joint completely and use something like this product to reseal the 2 components: https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-high-temp-red-rtv-silicone-gasket/?locale=en_us

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:04 AM Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi <helenmi57@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Unfortunately ours is different and doesn’t have the O rings , or any likely place to put one. I’m sending you photos to see what ours is like. On looking at the plans Amel sent us our set up is not exactly those either. We have bolts to fix it in place which are inserted from under the fibreglass part, shown in one of the photos.
It might be possible to put an O-Ring around the aluminum part which inserts slightly into the fibreglass, only there is nothing there to hold it in place, any ideas will be very much appreciated!!
Thanks again
Helen and Kostas on Meditation SM 29 of 1990

<image0.jpeg>
<image1.jpeg>

On 17 Jul 2020, at 4:54 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

The drawing shows 2 each "Joint Toriques" which is an O-Ring. Follow this link.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 8:31 AM Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi <helenmi57@...> wrote:

We are having trouble with the seal between the transmission and the rest of the drive unit after having it serviced. The oil leaked out between the transmission box and the fibreglass part of the drive unit. The machine shop had used a paper gasket and some sort of red sealant. We are on anchor so are trying to do it ourselves.
We took it apart and resealed it , it leaked again after about 4 hrs motoring. We had used a high Temperature RTV gasket maker but no paper gasket because we thought that that was the way it was originally.
We have the plans from Amel, but it is not clear if there should be a paper gasket.
Should we try to find card to cut a gasket or try again with the RTV gasket maker? The fibreglass part is not in a very good condition.

Helen and Kostas on Meditation SM 29 of 1990