Re: Lubrication of the Mechanism That Drives The Main Sail Furling Unit

Bill Shaproski

You might want to contact Ken from Aquarius who has three Youtube videos he made of how to rebuild the main sail manual furler.  He used grease instead of oil to lubricate after rebuild.  He also used the seal kit from Amel.  Here's the link:  youtube.com/watch?v=F0HIWBv1Pfc.

I'm no expert but it seems like installing a lube fitting should work.  Its apparently been done a lot on the gearbox for the electric furler.
Regards
Bill Shaproski
Pacific Cool

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020, 10:16 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well darn, sometimes I think my old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy is best. My newly refurbished manual mainsail furler, which I filled with heavy gear oil, is leaking onto the cabin top.

I hate to take it off and redo what I just did with new seals, so I'm asking if anyone has ideas about what to do differently.

It's hard to pinpoint where the oil is leaking on the bottom side of the gearbox. I didn't use any sealant on the outside of the shaft seal, so that's one thing, I could use a speed sleeve on the shaft, but the shaft looked nice and smooth.

I could go with grease instead of oil, but that means more frequent maintenance. Has anyone put a zerk in this gearbox for periodic greasing?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy