Re: Lubrication of the Mechanism That Drives The Main Sail Furling Unit

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Kent,

I followed Danny SIMMS suggestion; I rinse with loads of sweet water when able.

This has been done automatically in NZ... so much so that a newspaper called the storm “the 500 year freak rain”

We are dry; it’s N Amel

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007

On 19/07/2020, at 5:16 AM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Well darn, sometimes I think my old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy is best. My newly refurbished manual mainsail furler, which I filled with heavy gear oil, is leaking onto the cabin top.

I hate to take it off and redo what I just did with new seals, so I'm asking if anyone has ideas about what to do differently.

It's hard to pinpoint where the oil is leaking on the bottom side of the gearbox. I didn't use any sealant on the outside of the shaft seal, so that's one thing, I could use a speed sleeve on the shaft, but the shaft looked nice and smooth.

I could go with grease instead of oil, but that means more frequent maintenance. Has anyone put a zerk in this gearbox for periodic greasing?

Thanks for sharing your expertise and experience.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy