Re: Covid, Spanish VAT and the18 month temporary importation rule

James Alton

Mohammad and Aty,

   Thanks for this information and also for the warning about opinions and responses possibly varying with officials.  I am hoping to return to the boat in time to have the option to make a short trip to either Albania or Montenegro before the time actually runs out.  We had a wonderful time in Montenegro in 2019 btw.  Does anyone have any advice for visiting at least the South portion of Albania to get the clock reset on the VAT issue?  Our destination will actually be Izmir to have the boat measured for new sails so Albania is going in the wrong direction but I don’t think there would be enough time to reach Izmir without going over the 18 month limit.  Cruising has certainly become more complicated!

Thanks again!

Best,
James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Aug 3, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

When we were wintering in Greece, this is the same information we were told. The time that the cruising permit is surrendered to customs, is not counted towards the 18 month time limit.

However, opinions and responses vary drastically in the EU, depending on the country and the official you are talking to. We did take this issue seriously, but in our 6 years of cruising the Med, we have never been faced with an inquiry from any official regarding the amount of time Kokomo has been in EU waters.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099