Re: Lubrication of the Mechanism That Drives The Main Sail Furling Unit

Grease is my friend! I would use grease.

I think the issue with oil is that if you get enough inside to lubricate both gears, the oil level is higher than the input shaft. I do not believe that the seal on the input shaft is designed to retain liquid. Look at the drawing below. If the oil level (RED) is as high as the shaft, I believe it will leak. If the oil level is lower than the bottom of the shaft, it will not leak, but it likely will not lubricate the gears.

I suggest grease, even though it is possible the manufacturer suggested a very thick oil.

It is possible that you might be able to change the size of the input shaft seal on get a good enough seal to retain oil. That will need someone to test.

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 7:40 AM Craig & Katherine Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Fred,
I believe the Amel employee told you correctly to use grease, not oil (even 320 viscosity). It is basically a winch, not a high speed gear box and you should grease it like a winch. The oil will leak out, although, like bleeding, it will stop eventually :-)

I don't know the source of the recommendation you note to use 320 oil, although Kent and I discussed that on this forum as being the original oil in the Bonfiglioli (or other brand) "reductori" reduction gear boxes that are driven by the electric furling motors. Many of us have changed that out to conventional grease with Zerk fittings added for periodic replenishment, although in that appllication either should be fine.

Hope this helps,
Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL