Moorings/marina berths and engine start/stop problems

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

I sold my 18 mtr berth in Club de Mar, Palma, Mallorca last year which had about eleven years to run on it's lease for 185,000 euros because it had very high serce charges and the local repair/servicing people were very expensive as the marina has many super yachts who have no apparent objections to paying over the top. We left the boat in Sant Carles in a new marina developed by Marina Developments Ltd, a British company. It is a big marina with state of the art features including a huge concrete hard standing, swimming pool etc.They are offering discounts to attract boats to over winter and berths are much cheaper than those in Mallorca. It is on the coast of Spain about 100 miles WNW of Palma. The downside was that the office staff were not kowledgeable about boat needs and this created language problems. It is also some way from an airport being roughly half way between Barcelona (and its thieves) and Valencia. Contact for info:- n.salter(at)mdlmarinas.co.uk

We have had intermittent problems with our Yanmar engine being unstart/stopable. The problem lies in the connections to the solenoid which Amel fits on the negative or grounding side of the engine. I suspect that this is a general problem with whatever engine or Amel yacht. No wiring diagram was supplied for this grounding thus making it hard to find where the fault lies. I noted hat the Yanmar wiring diagram does not provide for this engine grounding system and finding that I could start or stop the engine whilst I shorted out the contacts on the soleniod I have put both wires to and from the battery negative side on the same terminal of the soleniod. This means that the engine is permanently grounded and that it always starts or stops when needed.
If anyone can give me a clue as why Amel use this system to unground the engine when stopped I should be very interested.

Happy grounding, Anne and John, SM319