Re: Onan shuts down under load without shutdown codes

Mark Pitt

Hi Tom and Kirstin,

I also have had at least a dozen shutdowns in the 17 years that I have owned Sabbatical III and in every case there was a shutdown code, including shutdowns due to a faulty sensor.  So this is a new one for me.

Having a spare central board is a good idea, although now that our circumnavigation is done, not as crucial.  I heard that they are quite expensive.  My wife and I are only summer livesboards now.

Mark Pitt
SV Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island

On Aug 13, 2020, at 1:09 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

Hey Mark- your post caught my eye because we are hull #422....,Bill's approach (eliminate sensors one by one) is what we do on L'ORIENT. I'm troubled by the lack of a diagnostic code, though. We've probably had 15-20 genset shutdowns in the 10 years we've owned the boat; never was there no code. Since it's really easy, at some point I'd swap out the central board (if you have one). I think this is a vital spare part to have on a SM because of how much you depend on 220 v (unless you've done a major lithium conversion).

Tom and Kirstin
SM 2K 422
Hanalei Bay, Kauia