Re: Both electric furlers no working

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Mark, for the headsail since it goes neither way check at the breaker first. On 299 this is in the port forward locker in the forard cabin, the same breaker does the anchor winch and the headsail furler. It will trip on overload. Are you sure the furler wasnt snagged anywhere, eg spare halyard tangled at the top or the bearing at the top clogged with salt? The salt clogging can be simply fixed by dropping the sail and vigorously rinsing the bearing with fresh water. For the mainsail furler, since it will go one way the most likely suspect is stuck brushes or a poor elecrical connection. Be aware if it will only roll one way, say unroll, you can carry on until it is fully unrolled and then it will just happily roll in, albeit in the reverse way.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl. Currently on the Hard at Opua

On 15 August 2020 at 02:51 "Mark Garver via groups.io" <mgarver=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, our main furler failed, it would unfurl, but it would not roll back in, but the outhaul worked just fine. The genoa worked just fine until last week when I was preparing the boat for the hurricane, it rolled out for about 2 seconds then stopped and wouldn’t operate in either direction. I am not sure if these two issues are related or not. Our boat is SM #105 (1993) and until these to issues happened everything was working as it should be. Regarding the genoa, I had a friend stand up on the bow to listen for a solenoid click or activation and there is nothing. I had to fly back to Texas for work before being able to sort these and am about to head back up this week to resolve and was looking for any input on where to begin. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

SV It’s Good
SM #105