From: amelliahona <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Amel] Re: MAST WIRING
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, July 25, 2009, 8:34 PM

Kent:

Let's start here:

European wiring color codes:

Wire Color = Yellow/Green = Protective earth or bonding wire, goes to rudder zinc.
Wire Color = Blue = AC neutral or DC negative
Wire Color = Brown = AC line voltage or DC positive voltage
Wire Color Red = usually means DC positive
Wire Color Black = usually means DC negative

Use a multimeter and measure DC volts between the various buss posts and a ground
as you turn on and off the various breakers (e.g. tricolor,steaming light, and anchor
light). This will verify that the buss posts are properly labeled.

It really sounds like the wires for the tricolor and anchor lights are swapped and your
tricolor bulb is burned out at the masthead.

" The bus and wiring is all clearly marked, and all red wires are connected to the
appropriately labled posts on the bus."

I don't think you can assume this. Verify it using a multimeter.

" The black wire labeled "blanc" (is that a French thing?)is attached to the same post as
the red one marked "blanc", and the white wire labeled "tricolor" is attached to the
same post as the red one marked the same."

Blanc means white in French. It isn't clear to me if this is the anchor light but Projecteur
is probably the steaming light or possibly the foredeck light. A little detective work
with your multimeter will tell which one.

" There are two unmarked brown wires attached to the posts marked "projecteur" and
"hune"," I don't know what Hune means, I can't find it in any of my dictionaires.

" and all the blue wires and a green one (which runs with the black and white ones) are
all attached to the far starboard post.....whew. Does that sound right to you?"

all the blue wires are DC grounds aka negative and are appropriately tied together.

" are fuses somewhere that could be keeping the anchor light switch ..." No fuses unless
someone has tinkered with the original wiring.

Get your multimeter out, measure between each buss terminal and the ground (negative)
terminal while you cycle the various breakers.

Good Luck. Gary Amel SM 335