From: James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Sand Blasting

Pat,

   This sounds like an interesting option to me and apparently there was no damage done to your gel coat.   I like the fact that you avoided using harsh chemicals.  You also checked your boats bottom for loose putty and voids in this process whether you realize it, since 5000 PSI can take anything off that is not well attached and can open up voids near the surface!  I had the bottom of my boat checked with an ultrasound during the initial surgery looking for voids, delaminations etc. and non were found.  That would not be the case on many non Amel hulls.  It seems that Amel does a very good job with their laminations in getting out all of the air, especially at the critical gel coat interface.  Really glad that this worked out for you.

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On Aug 17, 2020, at 5:02 PM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

A few weeks ago I mentioned that I intended to have by boat sandblasted , I paid for it ,but they did something different,maybe better. I went to see what progress had been made on repairs . The bottom paint ,several layers was mostly gone ,with maybe a half thin coat still attached to the hull. I was confused ,since I expected it to be blasted down to the gel coat . What they did was to use a 5000 psi powerwasher with a rotating turbo head which blasted most of the paint off . I missed that part ,but while I was there a workman used a 7" orbital sander with 60 grit to take it the rest of the way down to the gel coat. He did a 20 sq. ft. area in about 15 minutes . So it should take about 9 hrs of sanding. What he did looks perfect and no concerns for damage to the gel coat.
Just thought I would put this out there, as another option to sand or soda blasting
Pat
SM Shenanigans