Re: Wifi extenders and the bonding system

Robert Giroux

Unfortunately, from Bitstorm website:

“As of March 2020, Bitstorm made the decision to cease production of its high power Wi-Fi systems. A number of factors caused this decision and included supply chain issues, manufacturing and staffing as a direct result of the Covid-19 virus. Sales of remaining inventory will continue for as long as available. Customers will continue to receive support for any issues on a best effort basis.”

There are however many companies “marketing” this type of WiFi bridge device. They all probably start out in one or two Chinese factories and receive a few differentiating components and/or specs, then branding and packaging. Ubiquity even has a titanium bodied one!

Regards,

Robert Giroux

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 7:43 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Wifi extenders and the bonding system

Scott,

my point was not the radiation pattern of your own antenna per se, the access point has a radiation pattern as well. It takes two to tango in this case as the communication is bi-directional, even if you are just downloading. 

What kind of connection is there between the antenna and the rest of the system? Myself I’m using a device called “Badboy” and that has the whole WiFi system build into the base of the antenna. There is only Ethernet cable coming from it connected to a POE adapter and subsequently to a Draytek 4G router. This chooses which connection to use (4G/Badboy) depending on available bandwidth.

The Badboy is isolated from everything apart from the POE injector and the Router.

Cheers,

Arno

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.