Re: Wifi extenders and the bonding system

Mark Garver

I will second what Arno says about Marina wi-fi, I have an extender on the backstay, didn’t help with internet performance. Sure it gave me better wi-fi signal, but internet still sucked. After speaking with a few others at the marina, I went with the following solution which works great. You have to supply your own 4G SIM Card and data plan, but this thing rocks and for the price it is a great option.

Mark
SV-Its Good
SM #105
Gloucester Point, VA

On Aug 18, 2020, at 5:20 PM, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Scott,

There are still Badboys for sale here at Island Waterworld. I can’t test the thing at the moment as the boat is away for the hurricane season.

I did do the same tests as you for connectivity and found the connection quality much better at lower levels and away from the mast. Most marinas I’ve been either have a domestic router working so bad (congestion) it makes no sense to use them anyway or they use several directional antennas pointed at the different pontoons. The latter assumes connection at lower levels.
From experience I prefer using a 3/4G SIM & router to save myself the annoyance of Acces point congestion you get in most “free” WiFi spots.

Cheers,

Arno