Re: Dolphin power 1 battery chargers

Ross and Donna,

It is hard to say for sure. I had the same "non-changeable" Dolphin chargers on 2003 BeBe SM 387. In about 2007, I wanted to replace almost 4-year-old original Delco France Freedom batteries with FullRiver AGMs. I sent the FullRiver AGM charging parameters to Dolphin and asked them if I could install them. Their response was "Yes," which was obviously what I wanted to hear. I do not think it is that simple.

I believe the more exact the charging parameters match the battery, the longer the life of the batteries. Those AGMs lasted about 4 years...not bad for the price I paid. For full-time cruising, regardless of the battery you buy (except for Lithium), my advice is hope for 3 years and if you get 4 years, consider yourself lucky. The worst set of batteries I bought was the set to replace the above AGMs. They were Varta Freedom batteries bought in Greece for 3,000 euros for 13 batteries. They began to fail in 6 months and were completely gone in 12 months. Varta did nothing! The measure of the experience was not the failure, but what Varta did. Of course, they suspected my use and chargers. That was a bad assumption on their part, even though I suspect that it is a valid assumption more times than not. The chargers were fine and I never allow the bank to go lower than 70%...you were wrong Varta and I hope many read this.

Lastly, do not forget the 24-volt alternator. It charges the battery bank more than you realize and if your SM has the original, it does not have a smart regulator. Installing a smart regulator can probably do more to extend the life of your battery bank on a SM than anything else you do.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:01 AM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for sending this through Bill, it is very helpful.

The 100amp charger that we have is the one in the first picture (JPG) that you forwarded. It does not physically have a switch. Does this mean that the charger can be used for Gel without doing anything?

The 30 amp actually has a switch which was already set to Gel.

Kind regards

Ross and Donna

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, 1:08 am, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Ross and Donna

It depends. Dolphin changed those chargers 3 times. First was no switch, then an A/B switch, then a selector switch with 10 different settings.
Here are a few things that may help:

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:21 AM Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Stefan,

Can you please send the attachment.

Kind regards
Ross

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 2:30 pm, Stefan Jeukendrup <sjeukendrup@...> wrote:

Hi Ross,

Here is the French manual for the 30/50A  charger Dolphin/ CATS POWER DESIGN  send me.
It has a switch "Gel"or "free".

Hope this helps you,

Stefan Jeukendrup
svMalaka Queen