Re: Water hoses in engine room

James Alton

Vic,
   You have some good questions and it will be interesting to read the input. I can tell that for myself I try to only use the Shields exhaust hose below waterline and always double clamp those connections with the best 316 grade stainless clamps I can find. Sometimes you will have hose Barb's that are too short for the double clamps, try to change those out with longer ones if you can.  The ABA brand hose clamp has been pretty good for me.  Look for a hose clamp with a band that has the teeth for the gear rolled into in rather than being cut through it as the latter are more prone to breakage in my experience. The exhaust hose is not cheap but it's well constructed and has been very reliable.  The hose also seems to resist damage from engine oil and can handle a lot more heat than a vinyl hose.  For a hose run that is subjected to any suction or has anything more than a very gentle bend, the hose needs to a reinforcement to prevent collapse. In the case of the exhaust hose this will be a wire spiral that will require some decent side cutters to get through.  If you pull a bit on the wire when cutting the sharp end of the wire will bury itself back into the hose.  Best of luck with your project.
James
Maramu #220

On Aug 17, 2020 1:10 PM, Vic Fryzel <vic.fryzel@...> wrote:

Hi,

For the first time, I'm looking at replacing a lot of or ~all of the hoses/valves that deliver fresh or raw water in the engine room.

Some of mine have become extremely rusted or are a bit split. A lot of the hose clamps are rusted closed. And some of the valves are barely usable because of some corrosion or rust. I'm hoping folks might be able to help me with a few questions:

1. Is there a type or class of hose I need to use? Any other hose requirements? Are transparent hoses okay?
2. Should I be double clamping each hose end?
3. Is there a valve material or SAE/metric requirement for both fresh and salt water?
4. When cutting the hoses, do I need any sort of special tool?
5. Similar questions for the bilge pump hoses specifically. Not sure if there are requirements of these?
6. Any retailers that sell this stuff that come to mind? I have a West Marine close by, but am happy to go elsewhere. For reference my boat is in San Diego right now.
7. After I replace this stuff, is there any specific type of maintenance other than visual inspection to keep things in good working order?
8. For my hot water heater, do folks have any references they could link me to on how to clean it? I don't think it's been cleaned/serviced in 6+ years.

Thanks!
-Vic "Moon Dog" SM248