Re: A question to the hive mind re Amel 54 (Sleipner side power) Bow thruster capacitor please.

Ryan Meador

Hi Porter,

The capacitor should be labeled.  On one side of the disc, I expect you'll see some tiny numbers.  If you can write them down and/or get a clear photo, that would help a lot for identifying it.  Failing that, you'll have to measure it with a meter (looks impossible due to the damage) or get the specifications from the manufacturer.

I concur with the tech -- it is a ceramic capacitor, most likely to reduce electrical/radio interference.  I'd prefer not to speculate on whether it's safe to operate the thruster without it.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 1:02 PM Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yesterday while cleaning contactor and brushes and then reassembling the bow thruster, accidentally we tore this small wire and capacitor vs resistor which connected between the brushes Set “A” and Set “B” of the four sets A-D. It appears to be a capacitor of some kind, theorized by the guy in the electronics shop to offer some sort of harmonic filtering and reduction of radio interference, and thus non-essential to the function of the BT.   It is a Sleipner “side power” bow thruster. No response yet from Sleipner.

The electronics guy has a host of small capacitors, and it would be easy to wire one up, but which size?  Might anyone 1) know the size?, 2) be able to confirm the non-essential nature of this small device? 3) have any suggestions in the absence of intel from Sleipner?

Thank you very much!

Porter McRoberts
A54-152. Tahiti.