Re: Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

karkauai

Hi David,
In Kristy, an SM, I also have vertical battens. The angle of the boom is critical, on Kristy it has to be close to 90d. You'll have to find WilnaGrace's sweet spot.  I always stand in the companionway where I can look up the mast and watch the sail roll in.  Go straight into the wind.  Keep some slight tension on the outhaul. There will be some creases in the lower half of the sail that have gotten a little more pronounced as my sails have stretched over the last 10 yrs. As long as the battens go in vertically with slight tension on the outhaul, she rolls in fine.

I guess if your sail is getting old it could be stretched enough to make it more finicky.

You'll figure it out, go slow and don't fret. When you've found the sweet spot it will be easy.

Be safe, Have Fun, Sail Fast!
Kent
SM 243
Kristy
Harbor Island Maine

On Aug 24, 2020 8:50 AM, David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
All,

It's confession time and a request for advice/tips.

A week ago, for the first time ever I managed to jam the mainsail when furling it (somewhere around the first batten).  It was impossible to free the sail there and then but fortunately I was able to find shelter nearby, anchor, go up the mast and work it loose by hand.  At the time I put this down to lack of attention and over confidence and cursed myself.
Two days later after a good sail upwind (15-20kts apparent), I started furling the main, this time watching VERY carefully, I saw creases appearing around the first batten so unfurled and tried again with the same result.  Being really nervous of a repeat episode I unfurled and carried on sailing and finally furled, without a problem, when in sheltered water. In all cases I was going upwind, maybe 10-30deg off the wind.

I'll confess this incident has been a big knock to my confidence, having a jammed, partly furled main in heavy weather is a worrying thought. I previously had a Super Maramu and never once experienced any problem like this, not even a hint of it.  Is the critical difference the vertical battens in the 54's main?
Does anyone else have experience like this, more importantly can anyone offer advice/tips on furling the main on an A54 please.

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace