Re: Running back stays on A54

I have always wondered why Amel left this out of the Amel 54 manuals. There is not really anything in the 55 or 50 either.

I suggest using this point (blue circle 1st photo below) and rigging two opposing blocks with 2:1 purchase (one with cam cleats - 2nd photo below), just like your Mizzen Boom Preventer. This leaves the smaller winch available to use.
image.png
A pair of these will make your life easy:
image.png
Neither the 54 Users nor Owners manuals say anything about the running backstays. I found this little note that memorializes the confidence Amel had of the Bamar furlers: "The jib furling and the staysail (option) system don’t need any maintenance." I am not sure that statement was accurate, and I did not find a similar statement of Reckmann for the 55 or ProFurl for the 50. Things change.

There is no photo of running backstay rigging in the 55 manual and the only mention is, "If your craft is equipped with a staysail (optional), the running backstays must be installed, regardless of the speed."

There is no photo of backstay rigging in the Amel 50 manual and the only mention is, "If your craft is equipped with a staysail (optional), the running backstays must be installed, regardless of the speed. Do not navigate under the genoa only."

Maybe the above helps.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 8:06 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Having previously had a Super Maramu one of the attractions of getting an A54 was the staysail.  Unfortunately I can't find any information on the correct way to rig the running back stays. What information there is is for an A55, which from what I can see, has a different deck layout to a A54. Below is a photo of the rig I've devised using some blocks with soft shackles left by the previous owner which seem perfect for the job.  I've attached the block to the mooring cleat on the assumption the loops at the base of the stanchion may not be man enough.

Any comments/suggestions from experienced A54 owners?

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace