Re: Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi David;

You already have great advice from others.

One item I can add is, just like when reefing,  or if we are in a situation that we cannot point straight into the wind, we make sure we are within 50 degrees of the apparent wind, so we can continue sailing under genoa or staysail, sheet out the main until the main starts to luff, place some tension on the outhaul, keep the boom close to 90 degrees to the mast, watch the main luff carefully from the helm and reef. This way we have plenty of time and are not rushed because we are under power and sailing.

We have, as I believe most others, jammed the main at least once as we became familiar with our new adventure machine. In our case, the first time it was jammed was by the broker, on the first test sail. Although, in some cases, the jam seemed almost impossible to unravel from the helm, it can be done through patience and slow furl and unfurls. You will need to have a fair amount of tension on the outhaul and work the furler in very small increments back and forth. If at sea and heavy conditions, first adjust the head sail so that the boat is sailing comfortably and safely with minimal heel, so you have plenty of time to focus on the main, without rushing or being concerned about anything else.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Crisp via groups.io
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 5:51 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

All,

It's confession time and a request for advice/tips.

A week ago, for the first time ever I managed to jam the mainsail when furling it (somewhere around the first batten).  It was impossible to free the sail there and then but fortunately I was able to find shelter nearby, anchor, go up the mast and work it loose by hand.  At the time I put this down to lack of attention and over confidence and cursed myself. 
Two days later after a good sail upwind (15-20kts apparent), I started furling the main, this time watching VERY carefully, I saw creases appearing around the first batten so unfurled and tried again with the same result.  Being really nervous of a repeat episode I unfurled and carried on sailing and finally furled, without a problem, when in sheltered water. In all cases I was going upwind, maybe 10-30deg off the wind.

I'll confess this incident has been a big knock to my confidence, having a jammed, partly furled main in heavy weather is a worrying thought. I previously had a Super Maramu and never once experienced any problem like this, not even a hint of it.  Is the critical difference the vertical battens in the 54's main? 
Does anyone else have experience like this, more importantly can anyone offer advice/tips on furling the main on an A54 please.

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.