Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
<>

Am 24.08.2020 um 17:58 schrieb Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...>:

For me I find the furler is faster than the outhaul so I slack it a little first then run at the same time watching for too much tension in the sail
CHeers
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

-----Original Message-----
From: david bruce <davidcbruce57@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Aug 24, 2020 11:42 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

Hi All,

It’s dumb (but short) question time regarding furling an Amel in general.   Are the furler and outhaul geared to use simultaneously? or is it an alternating actuation type maneuver in which case it seems there is often intermittent ‘slack’ created in the sail.  It seems on Liesse sometimes simultaneous activation works really well but at other times it causes too much tension on the foot of the sail for the furling motor so have to use the outhaul and furler alone in an alternating manner.

Thanks,

Dave Bruce
Liesse
SN006

On Aug 24, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hi David;

You already have great advice from others.

One item I can add is, just like when reefing,  or if we are in a situation that we cannot point straight into the wind, we make sure we are within 50 degrees of the apparent wind, so we can continue sailing under genoa or staysail, sheet out the main until the main starts to luff, place some tension on the outhaul, keep the boom close to 90 degrees to the mast, watch the main luff carefully from the helm and reef. This way we have plenty of time and are not rushed because we are under power and sailing.

We have, as I believe most others, jammed the main at least once as we became familiar with our new adventure machine. In our case, the first time it was jammed was by the broker, on the first test sail. Although, in some cases, the jam seemed almost impossible to unravel from the helm, it can be done through patience and slow furl and unfurls. You will need to have a fair amount of tension on the outhaul and work the furler in very small increments back and forth. If at sea and heavy conditions, first adjust the head sail so that the boat is sailing comfortably and safely with minimal heel, so you have plenty of time to focus on the main, without rushing or being concerned about anything else.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
AMEL 54 #099