Re: Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi David;

I personally would not give up on the battens. I believe that they do add shape and performance. We have not had any issues in the past 5 years, and we have sailed, furled and unfurled in conditions up to force 9 in the Med about 5 months every year. We even did a winter season, which we will not voluntarily repeat. Our sails are original (now going on 12 years) and they look, feel and work fine. We may just add a foot line to the genoa as we seem have to have some stretch there.

We wash, dry and remove all sails and battens and store below at the end of every season. We keep the cabins dry by installing water accumulators in all areas. The bags are usually full to almost bursting by the time we get back at the start of the following season

We inspect the sails, make needed repairs and check the battens for any damage, twist, etc.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Crisp via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 8:58 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

Thanks everyone.  The advice is consistent and fully absorbed!  My sails are only 4 years old and in good shape. Suspect I simply didn't have adequate outhaul tension / good boom angle. 

The day I have to get new sails I'll consider going without battens and hence no roach and lower performance. My racing days are over but then you know how it is when another boat is sailing close by, the old twitch and tweak kicks in..... :-)   Seriously, I'll not leapt to conclusions until I've got a lot more miles under my belt. It is probably a case of building good habits. I have faith in Amel design.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace
Amel 54 #58

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.