Re: Mainsail jammed when furling on A54

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi David;

I personally would not give up on the battens. I believe that they do add shape and performance. We have not had any issues in the past 5 years, and we have sailed, furled and unfurled in conditions up to force 9 in the Med about 5 months every year. We even did a winter season, which we will not voluntarily repeat. Our sails are original (now going on 12 years) and they look, feel and work fine. We may just add a foot line to the genoa as we seem have to have some stretch there.

We wash, dry and remove all sails and battens and store below at the end of every season. We keep the cabins dry by installing water accumulators in all areas. The bags are usually full to almost bursting by the time we get back at the start of the following season

We inspect the sails, make needed repairs and check the battens for any damage, twist, etc.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099