Re: Raw Water Manifold Failure - A54

michael winand

Hi Craig,  I was pointing out that the photo of the new Amel manifold is made of poly pipe fitting that are heat welded, www.advancedpiping.com.au      this makes a very strong joint.
If you are going to use PVC pipe  I would be sure to use shedual  pressure pipe and fittings, with the glue that is appropriate for pressure fittings, also need to clean the fittings and pipe with a MEk cleaner,,. Swimming pool pumping and filter style fittings would work.   Stay clear of drainage fittings and pipe.
Regarding a engine room fire, we should have a working fire suppression system, like the fire boy.
I  was under the impression that the cockpit drains are fibreglass covered.
I know that the main engine and genset  exhausts are a heavy schedule pvc fitting at the waterline exit. Should not have any heat in this part of the exhaust.
Regards Michael winand  Nebo sm251

On Sat, 29 Aug. 2020 at 10:18 am, Craig Briggs via groups.io
<sangaris@...> wrote:
Hi Michael,
I'm not sure I understand the difference between using PVC in the engine room for a drain, as Amel does for the large diameter cockpit drains which have no water in them above the water line and no seacocks, and using it for a Manifold, which would always have water inside and thus, ostensibly, be more resistant to being compromised by fire, and in addition has a seacock. What am I missing?
Best regards, Craig -- SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL