Re: Raw Water Manifold Failure - A54

Sv Garulfo

Thanks for the heads up about the manifold.

Does premature corrosion of the copper manifold indicate a possible disconnection from the bonding system and/or an electrical leak?

Thanks
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Raiatea, French Polynesia

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 at 17:24, Craig Briggs via groups.io <sangaris=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Michael,
Olivier Beaute had a fun quiz on this DB a while ago and asked what the main PVC pipe was on the boat - it was the cockpit drains!  They are not GRP fiberglass covered except where they are tabbed into the hull. I've drilled through mine up high for A/C and Refrigeration cooling water discharges when I added those systems to my SN - they are just PVC.

As to the PVC pipe schedule, I think plain old white hardware store Schedule 40 rated at 220 psi should be fine - there is simply no positive pressure at all in the manifold (maybe a slight negative pressure, actually, as pumps suck water). That appears to be what Tom Cunliffe has used in the article I posted a couple of days ago. But, hey, overkill never hurt, either.

If I'm not mistaken, all Amels have factory installed fire suppression systems in the engine rooms.

Cheers, Craig  -  SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL