Re: Bilge pump

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alex, the pump is not self priming so if the foot valve on the bottom of the suction pipe is not holding the water in column in the pipe the pump will act but not suck. If you grasp the suction pipe in the middle (having first detached any securing system) and pull it back and forth vigorously with he pump running you are likely to prime the pump and away you go. The movement up and down of the suction pipe acts like a pump forcing water up until the pump takes over. Obviously a replacement foot valve would be a longer term solution. Another thing that can cause the same effect as a leaking foot valve is a small leak in the suction pipe. Be sure all joints are well made and the pipe is in good order.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

On 31 August 2020 at 19:51 Alexis LETELLIER <alexis.letellier@...> wrote:

Hi all,
a bilge pump question on SM8 as our pump has been showing signs of weakness twice in one month. It keeps on pumping but nothing comes out. I've dismounted it but nothing looked wrong or obstructed. Then it worked again for 3 weeks, then failed again. I suspect an air leak, as the pump gasket looks a bit worn. Unfortunately, the safety manual pump doesn't work either.
So, if I have to change this pump, my questions are :
- do you recommend any upgrade or any model? (this one is a 25lt/min // A:4,5 // Rpm:25 // W90 // Serv. S2 // IP22 // I.CI.B// from 2012)
- I've seen an interesting set-up in a Contest Yacht with 2 bilge pumps (in a row?), so that you still have an electric one on if the first one has problems. Have you install this kind of set-up?
- about the manual safety pump, any idea what can be the problem? (i think it has quite never been used, and it may be dry and with an air leak as as well?)
Thank you !
Regards,
Alex