Re: Super Maramu Repower

Dan Wilcox

A little over a year ago we re-powered Feierabend with a Beta 85 from the original Perkins M80T.  Now we use less fuel, get significantly more torque, and have a quieter ride when we have to motor.  With a maxProp we cruise at 7.8 knts @ 1800 rpms (2,700 is wide open).  I'm located in Seattle area and typically we cruise year round.  The engine now has 300+ hours with no issues.

Thanks, Dan Wilcox
Feierabend SM#86

On Monday, August 31, 2020, 07:14:27 AM PDT, Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:

We have just taken Nunky on her maiden voyage from Antibes to Almerimar over 5-6 weeks and we have loved the whole experience. The boat just feels so safe. Now that we have some experience of the boat I am hoping to be able to contribute to the group and the knowledge base.

One thing about the Western Med that I have noticed however is the amount of motoring you have to do. We have put 130 hours on the engine in just over 800 miles.

Nunky currently has the original Perkins M80T fitted. The hour meter broke at some point so I have no idea how many hours it has done. The new meter read 10 when we bought her but I doubt that was fitted 10 hours before we the boat.

Anyway we were considering a complete overhaul but a head gasket problem we had in Cartagena suggests that is the least we should do. Given that I have no idea how many hours the Perkins has done I am thinking about replacing it.

I have read and reread all the previous posts about repowers and I am edging towards a Beta 75. I like the fact that the engine is simple, they seem to have an excellent reputation and they will also fit a bespoke charging solution. That appeals because when we fit lithium eventually I would like a high capacity 24v alternator fitting.

I would really appreciate the group's current views on repowers that have been undertaken.

Many thanks
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky