Slightly fed up with a day of poor progress.
Amelia Leros

AML 54-019

On 1 Sep 2020, at 20:11, James Alton via groups.io <lokiyawl2@...> wrote:

Nick,

   Assuming that the worm gear and the shaft are both metal...  I would try heating the component  ( I assume this is the worm gear) with the hole to expand it while cooling the other part (the shaft) using ice or whatever you have.   Some gentle tapping might be ok.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

-----Original Message-----
From: ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Sep 1, 2020 8:52 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Main furling motor and gear on 54

I know this has come up before, but I am servicing the main sail furling motor and worm drive.
It is all well but the top shaft seal should be replaced.
Problem;
Shaft into the worm gear is very tight. Soaked it in diesel for some hours, hesitant to hit it. Plan to find a press to press it out.
Does anyone have a better idea?
Nick
S/Y Amelia
Leros.